How to Treat Wrinkles and Breakouts at the Same Time
Seattle, WA (PRWEB)
Wrinkles and breakouts are challenging enough problems on their own, but struggling with both is even more frustrating and confusing. Most of us believe acne should be gone by the time wrinkles start showing, but thats not always the case, says Paula Begoun, beauty expert and best-selling author of Dont Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me.
She recommends 5 essential products for treating acne and wrinkles:
1. A gentle, water-soluble cleanser: Acne doesn’t need drying cleansers or bar soaps; these actually make matters worse. “Medicated” cleansers aren’t helpful either, because the active ingredient, even if it’s effective, is just rinsed down the drain. Instead, use a silky water-soluble cleanser formulated with gentle, soothing ingredients.
Recommended cleansers: Peter Thomas Roth Gentle Foaming Cleanser($ 32 for 6.7 fl. oz.), or Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser($ 15.95 for 8 fl. oz.).
2. A beta hydroxy acid (BHA) exfoliant: Exfoliating with a BHA (salicylic acid) product is the most effective way to improve breakouts and fight signs of aging at the same time. Salicylic acid exfoliates the skin’s surface as well as inside the pores, where clogs (such as white bumps or blackheads) occur. It also reduces redness and stimulates collagen production for firmer, more youthful skin. This single ingredient is the #1 secret weapon for breakouts and wrinkles!
Recommended BHA exfoliants: Any of the BHA products from Paula’s Choice($ 18.95).
3. A treatment serum: Most serums are lightweight (which is great for use on breakout-prone areas), and the best ones are loaded with antioxidants, skin-repairing substances, and cell-communicating ingredients to help skin look and act younger and healthier. These not only help repair signs of aging and stimulate collagen production, but also reduce redness from breakouts while helping skin heal and fight inflammation (a major component of acne).
Recommended serums: Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Hydra-Pure Vitamin C Brightening Serum ($ 95 for 1 fl. oz.), or Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Mattifying Concentrate Serum with Retinol ($ 25.95 for 1 fl. oz.).
4. Lightweight anti-aging moisturizer: The challenge in finding an anti-aging moisturizer for blemish-prone skin is that it must hydrate and nourish skin without feeling thick, creamy, or greasy (all of which can increase breakouts). Generally, this means a moisturizer with either a very light thin lotion feel or a gel texture loaded with beneficial ingredients such as antioxidants to stimulate collagen production, anti-irritants to reduce red marks and help reduce patches of dry, flaky skin, and softening ingredients to diminish the appearance of wrinkles.
Recommended anti-aging/antiwrinkle moisturizer: Paula’s Choice RESIST Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator ($ 22.95 for 1.7 fl. oz.).
5. Daytime moisturizer with sunscreen (or a foundation with sunscreen): Protecting skin from sun damage helps combat breakouts, as well as wrinkles, by strengthening skin and allowing its immune response to help heal breakouts faster. Those with breakouts and wrinkles need sun protection from a product that smoothes and hydrates without making breakouts worse. Getting sun protection from foundation and pressed powder rated SPF 15 or greater is also a great option for those with combination or oily skin.
Recommended daytime moisturizers with sunscreen: Philosophy Miracle Worker SPF 55 Miraculous Anti-Aging Fluid ($ 55 for 1.7 fl. oz.), or Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion with SPF 15 & Antioxidants ($ 22.95 for 1.7 fl. oz.).
About Paula Begoun
Paula Begoun is the creator and innovative force behind Paula’s Choice skin-care and cosmetics products. She developed her line of products and the Beautypedia site after years of struggling to find the right products to deal with her own skin-care concerns, including acne, wrinkles, and skin discolorations. She and her team are passionate about helping others find the best products for their skin, whether its from Paulas line or someone elses.
Paula is the author of 18 best-selling books, including Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me, Blue Eyeshadow Should Be Illegal, and The Original Beauty Bible. Paula’s work as a nationally recognized consumer expert for the cosmetics industry has led to repeat appearances on CNN, Oprah, The Today Show, 20/20, Dateline NBC, The View, and The Dr. Oz Show.
For more information about Paula Begoun and her books, visit http://www.CosmeticsCop.com. For information about Beautypedia, the online version of Paula’s book, visit http://www.Beautypedia.com.
You must log in to post a comment.