How to Cut Empty Calories
How can you cut empty calories this holiday season? Here are some tips that will definitely help:
- Eat from a smaller plate. This little step will help you feel full faster, and keep you from mindlessly eating.
- Eat fruits and veggies first. If you fill up on the main dish or entree, you won’t have any room left for the healthier stuff. This is also a good way for you to make sure you get your fruits and veggies in.
- Drink a glass of water before a meal. Sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger. Drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. If you’re still hungry, go ahead and eat right away. But if you notice that you’re actually full after drinking water, wait longer before eating.
- Don’t drink your calories. What’s a sure-fire way to add on extra empty calories? One way is by drinking sodas, sugar-laden fruit juices, warm beverages, and even some smoothies. This is why high-calories drinks need to be avoided. A beer or a creamy cocktail typically has more calories than a glass of wine. Since drinking calories can be easier than eating them, be sure to think twice before sipping.
- Look out for hidden fats and sugars. Don’t assume that something is inherently healthy for you just because it looks that way. Lots of meals are packed with fats and sugars that you can’t immediately see or even taste.
Have fun this season and don’t be afraid to indulge a few times. Just keep in mind that all the yummy calorically dense foods you want to eat from time to time will be all the more enjoyable if you pace yourself and eat right.
You must log in to post a comment.