Summary: Discover the diverse yoga styles practiced across the globe through this article.
Hatha and Ashtanga are two popular traditional forms of yoga styles widely practiced across the globe for a robust body, mental peace, heightened awareness and detoxed nervous system. Moreover, there also exist diverse glorious yoga styles that many of you are yet to explore. Therefore, we bring you a comprehensive list of different kinds of yoga styles that are widely practiced for enhanced goodness and well-being.
Take a glance at the list below and expand your perspective:
1. Vinyasa yoga: A popular yoga style among the yogis across the globe. A diverse, challenging, physical, mental and spiritual practice. It involves the interconnection of breath with the movements. The practice of continuous flowing from one posture to another makes it a form of moving meditation. The dance-like moves confer the practitioners with flexibility, strength, calmness, and good health. The style can be customized to suit the need of every individual while the essence of the class depends upon the inventiveness of the yoga instructor. The classes can be slow and mellow or fast-paced and intense depending upon the level of the practitioners.
2. Anusara Yoga: A modern-day Hatha Yoga founded by John Friend in 1997. A highly rhythmic and soul-searching practice with roots in Tantric philosophy. The main focus of this style is how to align the mind and body for optimal health and well-being. A fast-growing yoga style that teaches you the principle of experiencing happiness in your practice and daily life. If you are a seeker of upliftment, then the practice of Anusara yoga is highly recommended.
3. Restorative Yoga: An ideal solution to completely relax your body and mind from the daily stress is to practice the slow-paced restorative yoga. The dedicated practice shall replenish your entire health leading you towards a more fulfilling life. The style focuses on the performance of yoga asanas with the aid of yoga props such as blankets, straps, and blocks that support the body so that the postures can be held for a longer duration. In this way, the body is able to benefit the maximum from stretching.
4. Yin Yang Yoga: Practice yin-yang yoga for deep relaxation and healing. Yin is a mellow-paced yoga style where the yoga asanas are held for prolonged duration focusing on the connections in the pelvis, hips and lower back. While, Yang is a practice of energetic, dynamic standing yoga postures that strengthen deep muscular tissues. Practice this style to harmonize the yin and yang energies present in our body and reap its multiple benefits like strength, pliancy, detoxed internal system, etc.
5. Sivananda Yoga: A powerful yoga style that stretches and tones the body of a practitioner. A practice developed by Swami Sivananda in 1936 to maintain the body in optimum health. The style comprises of five elements of yoga philosophy: proper breathing, deep meditation, yogic diet, positive thinking, and exercise. Practitioners of all levels can practice this yoga style for vitality, re-energizing the body and self-empowerment.
6. Kripalu Yoga: Inspired by classical Hatha yoga, Kripalu is a challenging yoga style that emphasizes meditation and breathwork. The practice fosters inward focus and spiritual attunement. Additionally, it also focuses on a proper understanding of the body functions and how it works in different postures. It teaches practitioner to accept the body as your best teacher.
7. Kundalini Yoga: The most traditional form of yoga practiced by the yogis across the globe. This yoga style is influenced by Shaktism and Tantra philosophy and is also known as ‘laya yoga.’ The main focus of Kundalini yoga is to awaken the Kundalini forces lying dormant within us through the regular practice of meditation, pranayama, yoga asanas, and mantra chanting.
In addition to these, there are more resplendent yoga styles that you can practice for improving your overall health. Of course, go for the one that entices you the most and goes with your goal.