The 2014 Grammys last night were very entertaining, but went on so late I’m sure some of you didn’t get to watch the whole thing. Here are some highlights from the 56th Annual Grammy Awards and biggest night in music!
1. Record of the Year: Get Lucky by Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rogers
2. Album of the Year: Random Acts of Kindness by Daft Punk
(btw… how silly is it that Daft Punk never show their faces? Everyone calls them “the robots!”)
3. Song of the Year: Royals by Lorde (Way to go Lorde! She’s only 17 and has such a cool voice)
4. Best New Artist: Mackelmore & Ryan Lewis
5. Best Pop Solo Performance: Royals by Lorde (Another one for her! So cool!)
6. Best Pop Vocal Album: Unorthodox Jukebox by Bruno Mars
7. Best Rock Performance: Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
8. Best R&B Album: Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys (did you know her real name is Alcia Auguello Cook, but because she plays the piano her stage name is Alicia Keys)
9. Best Rap Performace: Thrift Shop by Mackelmore (such a funny music video!)
10. Best Country Album: Same Trailer Different Park by Kacey Musgraves (her outfit was so cute espeically with her light up cowboy boots!)
And some other highlights…
1. Sara Barrieles and Carole King’s duet- It was a cool mother-daughter moment since Sara Barrieles is this generation and Carole King is a more a mothers.
2. When Jay-Z won for best rap/sung collaboration and said that his Grammy is a new sippy cup for his daughter Blue Ivy
3. When Paul McCartney and Ringo Star played together- blast from the past, right?
4. When Daft Punk, Pharrell, Nile Rogers and Stevie Wondered performed Get Lucky. Stevie Wonder is so talented and it was fun to see the whole audience dancing.
5. Kacey Musgrove’s performance of her song “Follow Your Arrow” and her cool light up dress and cowgirl boots. She seems like a good role model for girls. Her lyrics are a little more mature than Taylor Swifts, but still have a positive message of being yourself.
6. Taylor Swift’s perfomance of “All Too Well” was heartwarming as she played the piano. I did think she was going to fall off the bench a few times though since she was swining her head back and forth so much!
7. The Music Educator’s Award: basically the Grammys recognized music teachers, which I think is so important. If your child has a music teacher that you think should be nominated, go to www.grammyintheschools.com.
8. Hunter Hayes performance wasn’t great, but I still think he’s talented and it was cool how the set had all these inspirational quotes up.
The most awkward moment of the night: When the Album of the Year was being announced and Taylor Swift thought they said “Red” but really said “Random Acts of Kindness” and she got all excited. She composed herself very quickly and appluaded Daft Punk’s win, so that was very classy of her. Poor Taylor- she left empty handed! I def think she should have won something and I’m bummed that Katy Perry didn’t win anything either.
I do think the media is being a little hard on Taylor Swift. She’s a great role model for girls and even if her reactions are funny and dancing isn’t top notch, she’s very talented and doesn’t deserve to be made fun of so much!
What was your favorite part about the Grammy’s? Who do you think should have won and didn’t? Share your comments below!